July 2026: are Montreal country homes starting to slow?

small_quill

First-time buyer
Established
I wrote this out before changing my mind again. In July 2026 I’ve been tracking a narrow group of Montreal country homes listed from C$988,200 to C$1,482,000. Their current marketing period is roughly 22 days.

Financing costs seem more important than the monthly market headline, especially because accessibility requirements already limit which properties are realistic for me. Should I treat the 22 days as ordinary variation between unusual homes, or as an early change in this segment? What would you compare before deciding whether to wait or keep looking?
 
Twenty-two days by itself would not persuade me that the segment has changed. Country homes vary too much in condition, location and layout. I’d start with recent completed sales in the same price range, then separate genuinely new listings from relisted properties. Withdrawals also matter: apparently quick inventory can hide homes that left the market without selling.
 
That is the weakness in my notes: I’ve treated the first visible listing date as the start, but I haven’t separated every withdrawal and relisting. I can rebuild it around completed sales and listing histories. How tightly would you draw the area? A broad Montreal label gives me more examples, but possibly combines markets that buyers do not see as substitutes.
 
Draw it from the buyer’s perspective, not the label used in the advertisement. If two homes involve very different travel patterns or access to services, putting them in one group may create a misleading average. I’d rather have a small comparison set with credible substitutes than a larger one spread across unrelated neighbourhoods and surrounding areas.
 
I’m not convinced financing is necessarily the main explanation. At this price, condition can produce a large difference in buyer response, and accessibility can make the comparison even less uniform. A home that already works for your needs is not equivalent to one requiring substantial alterations, even if their asking prices and locations look similar.
 
A simple table may answer more than the 22-day figure. For each property, record original asking price, current price, first appearance, any gap before relisting, condition, relevant accessibility features and whether it sold or disappeared. Then note when price cuts happened. A reduction after a short period suggests something different from a listing sitting unchanged before being withdrawn.
 
Yes, and I’d keep withdrawn stock as its own outcome rather than quietly removing it from the sample. It may reflect an unmotivated seller, a failed deal or another unknown reason, so don’t automatically count it as weak demand. The useful point is simply that it did not become a visible completed sale at that time.
 
On the area question, Bruno’s approach is sensible, but I would keep a second, broader view too. The tight group helps with valuation; the broader group shows what buyers might choose when they compromise on location. If financing reduces their budget, some may change area rather than negotiate on the same house.
 
There is also a timing caveat: a July 2026 snapshot may capture seller and buyer behaviour specific to that period. I would not call an early market turn from one current marketing period. Watch whether new-listing volume rises, price cuts occur earlier, and completed sales weaken together. Several signals moving in the same direction would be more meaningful.
 
For the actual buying decision, keep the market analysis separate from the accessibility decision. First identify the homes that genuinely work or can realistically be adapted; then compare pricing and seller behaviour within that smaller set. A supposedly softer market is not much help if the discounted properties fail the practical requirements. For any serious candidate, ask why the seller is moving and how flexible their timeline appears, without assuming the answer from days listed.
 
Back
Top