Joining from Singapore and comparing detached-home prices

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
Hello from Singapore. Detached homes are my current interest, particularly renovation costs and the difference between listing prices and completed transactions.

I came here to learn how people make those comparisons without treating every property as interchangeable. Two homes with similar headline details can have very different renovation needs, management considerations and transaction costs, so a simple discount percentage seems too crude.

Where would you start on the Singapore board? I would appreciate pointers to discussions or data sources that keep the property condition, location and sale date alongside the final price.
 
Welcome! I’d start with the local board’s market-data discussions, then work backwards from completed transactions rather than browsing listings alone. Keep the property description, transaction date and location beside each price so the comparison remains meaningful.

Are you studying this mainly to answer first-purchase questions, or are you building an investment model? The useful reading list would be different.
 
For detached homes, I wouldn’t treat the asking-to-completed percentage as a standalone measure. Two properties that look similar in a table may differ substantially in condition, renovation needs or other details. A small set of carefully matched examples can teach you more than a large spreadsheet of loose comparisons.
 
I partly disagree with starting from completed prices alone. Listings still show seller expectations and how a property was presented, even when that expectation proves unrealistic. I’d save the original advert, record later price changes, and then add the completed price when available. That gives you the negotiation story rather than only its endpoint.
 
That’s fair. Using both also exposes a missing fact: the time window. A listing and completion may sit in different market conditions, so Bianca should record dates rather than assume the entire gap came from negotiation.

For the forum, I’d ask one narrow question at a time—market data first, then transaction costs, mortgages and legal checklists. A broad request tends to produce answers that cannot be compared.
 
I would postpone mortgage comparisons unless the exercise involves a specific buyer profile. Financing assumptions can distract from the property comparison. First build a simple property sheet: advertised price, completed price, dates, condition, likely renovation scope and every transaction-cost item you can verify. Then add financing as a separate scenario rather than mixing it into the base price.
 
If investment modelling is the eventual goal, include an explicit “unknown” field instead of forcing estimates into every cell. Detached homes can be especially awkward when renovation or management requirements are unclear. Run at least a clean base case and a higher-cost case; otherwise an apparently precise return may just reflect optimistic inputs.
 
One addition to my last point: keep Singapore-specific legal and transaction-cost questions separate from lessons borrowed from overseas markets. The comparison across countries is useful for method, but not every cost category or checklist transfers. When posting an example, include the exact assumptions you want members to challenge; that should produce much better replies than asking whether the property is simply a good deal.
 
Back
Top