Japan purchase: which legal, tax and rental costs are easiest to miss?

walksAndKey

Property investor
Established
Our adviser has raised possible rental restrictions on the Japan country home, but the warning is too general for me to decide whether it changes the purchase. The price is around ¥199,700,000, so I want the assumptions written down before proceeding.

I already expect transfer tax, registration and professional fees. What remains unclear is how personal versus entity ownership, annual property charges, rental use and residency could affect the figures. I would like separate estimates for acquisition, yearly ownership, and a later sale or inheritance, including any capital-gains treatment. What facts should I give a licensed local adviser so the answer covers our intended use rather than a generic scenario?
 
Ask for three separate estimates rather than one closing figure: purchase costs, recurring annual charges, and exit costs. For each line, have the adviser state what value or ownership assumption it uses and whether the amount is fixed or only provisional. I would also ask whether “notary costs” actually apply to your proposed process or whether that label is hiding some other professional fee.
 
The missing fact is how you intend to use the house. Occasional personal stays, a conventional tenancy, and short paid stays may raise very different questions. Also tell the adviser whether you are considering personal or entity ownership, your residency position, and whether family members may inherit it. Without those details, a warning about rental regulation is too vague to influence a ¥199,700,000 decision.
 
I would not let the checklist become so broad that the real concern disappears. The adviser flagged something specific, so ask them to identify the exact proposed use that causes concern, which local authority or contract term matters, and whether the issue affects legality, cost, or simply administration.

Then request two written scenarios: personal use only and the rental model you actually contemplate. Add annual charges, capital-gains treatment on a future sale, residency assumptions, and inheritance planning to both. If they cannot quantify an item yet, they should at least name who can confirm it and what information that person needs.
 
Back
Top