Is waiting for a housing crash a plan or just market timing in Finland?

FriendlyGate

Buyer
Established
I keep hearing “wait for prices to fall,” but during my Helsinki search both rent and borrowing costs have moved too. I have found a suitable new-build flat that is affordable now, though certainly not cheap by historical standards. The decision is whether to proceed or keep renting in hopes of a better market. For those on either side, which personal thresholds matter more than predicting the next move: monthly cost, cash reserve, expected time in the flat, or something else?
 
Waiting for a crash is only a plan if you define what would make you buy and how long you will wait. Otherwise every fall can become a reason to expect another fall. I would prioritise the full monthly housing cost, a reserve after purchase, and whether the flat still works if you stay longer than expected. Affordability today is more actionable than a market forecast.
 
One missing detail: are you judging value from asking prices or completed sales for comparable flats? Also check the dates and number of transactions behind any claimed trend. A small or old sample can be distorted by seasonal noise, especially if different Helsinki areas or new-build projects are grouped together.
 
I partly disagree that buying once the payment is manageable is enough. Waiting can be rational when the cash buffer would become uncomfortably thin or when the buyer may need to move soon. That is risk management, not necessarily a crash prediction.

I would set a maximum total price and monthly cost, compare available sold data rather than listings alone, and choose a decision deadline. If the flat passes those tests without relying on future appreciation or lower rates, proceeding is defensible. If it only works under optimistic assumptions, keep renting.
 
Back
Top