Is waiting for a housing crash a plan, or just market timing after 92 days?

vera_linden

First-time buyer
I’m 92 days into searching for student housing in Vienna. The advice I keep hearing is to wait for prices to fall, but during the search both rent and borrowing costs have moved. I have now found a suitable property that is affordable within my current budget, although it is not cheap by historical standards.

I’m trying to distinguish a sensible waiting strategy from simply attempting to time the market. If you chose to buy or wait, what personal thresholds drove that decision—monthly cost versus renting, cash buffer after purchase, expected holding period, or tolerance for a price decline?

I’m also wary of drawing conclusions from a short search. Which evidence would you consider useful here: asking prices or completed sales, transaction volume, policy timing, seasonal effects, and differences between Vienna districts? If historical figures were later revised, how would that change your interpretation? I’m looking for a practical way to assess the downside of proceeding now, not reassurance that prices can only rise.
 
Back
Top