Is waiting for a housing crash a plan or just market timing after 31 days?

A bit more context from Tokyo: throughout my search I have heard “wait for prices to fall,” but rent and borrowing costs have been moving too. I can afford a suitable coastal home now, although it is not cheap by historical standards. The decision is whether to proceed based on today’s numbers or keep renting in hope of a broad decline.

I am wary of drawing conclusions from only 31 days of market movement. Before changing course, I would want to know the source date, whether the figures cover asking or completed sale prices, transaction volume, revision history, and how much seasonal noise is involved. Tokyo-wide data may also hide large regional differences, while policy timing could quickly alter borrowing conditions.

For those who bought or waited, which personal threshold drove the decision: monthly housing cost versus rent, cash reserves after completion, expected holding period, or tolerance for a price decline? If you think waiting is the better plan, what specific evidence would trigger you to buy rather than wait again?
 
Back
Top