Is PLN 3,338,000 defensible for a 75 m² Warsaw townhouse?

kian_roofs

Landlord
Established
The asking side appears to be relying heavily on the light and location, and I can see the appeal, but I am hesitant about the price. This is a 1-bed Warsaw townhouse of roughly 75 m² in average condition, listed for PLN 3,338,000. The finishes are dated, and financing would add considerably to the carrying cost.

I have located three comparable listings, yet only one confirmed transaction. How much weight would you give that sale without knowing whether its immediate surroundings, layout and condition truly match? As this would be our first rental, I also need to check recurring charges, insurance, maintenance and realistic rent rather than treating the purchase figure as the whole decision. I will still obtain a local appraisal, but I would like to know which missing detail should be investigated first.
 
The ask works out at roughly PLN 44,507 per m², but I would not apply a simple area adjustment to a townhouse. Plot position, layout and private access can matter more than a few square metres. For dated condition, I would test 0%, 5% and 10% deductions as scenarios, then replace those assumptions with an actual refurbishment budget.
 
The missing fact for me is the exact micro-location, followed closely by the details of that completed sale. How far away was it, when did it complete, and did it have comparable light, parking and outdoor space? One genuine sale can be useful, but only if the buyer was choosing between meaningfully similar properties.
 
Cosmetic work is relatively easy to price. The more specific concern is that 75 m² has been arranged as only one bedroom.

A percentage deduction for dated finishes is tempting, but a kitchen or flooring budget can be estimated directly. Awkward room proportions, poor access or a layout that cannot sensibly provide another usable room are much harder to correct. I would establish whether the plan works for the likely tenants before spending too much time refining the décor adjustment, because that constraint could affect both rent and eventual resale.
 
Before debating the purchase valuation, what monthly rent do you realistically expect? You need that alongside service charges, insurance, maintenance, vacancy, management if applicable, financing and initial works. A property can be fairly priced for an owner-occupier and still make little sense as a first rental.
 
Also clarify exactly what is being acquired and whether there is any remaining lease term or shared-estate arrangement. If service charges apply, ask what they include and whether major works are anticipated. I would put those facts ahead of a cosmetic condition adjustment because they affect recurring costs and may affect financing.
 
Parking and outdoor space need separate treatment rather than being buried in the per-m² number. A bright townhouse without either may not compete with one that has both, even at the same internal area. I would create a small comparison grid for the four properties: sale status, distance, area, condition, parking, outdoor space and recurring charges.
 
I partly disagree with mmoreau on which unknown comes first. Tenure and charges could certainly kill the deal, but the exact street and immediate surroundings probably move the market valuation more. I would separate those questions: micro-location determines what it may be worth; tenure, charges and financing determine whether it is sensible for Freja to buy.
 
Freja, with no rent figure and only one completed comparable, I would avoid settling on a single valuation yet. Start from that sale, document every meaningful difference, and use the three listings only to show current seller expectations. Then obtain refurbishment estimates, confirm parking/outdoor rights and recurring charges, and run the rental numbers under both normal and higher financing-cost assumptions.
 
Back
Top