Is €21,160 enough cash to keep after buying a €1.26m country home?

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
€21,160 would be all the cash left once the deposit and projected closing costs were paid on a €1,260,000 country home. The mortgage is affordable from our monthly income and the house looks well maintained, but that remainder would need to cover the move, initial furniture and any early surprises.

We can postpone most non-essential furniture, although the moving costs themselves are harder to defer. Would that leave too little room for problems an inspection does not reveal, or is it a workable buffer if the inspection is reassuring? I would be interested in what specific expense or evidence made others proceed or wait in a similar position.
 
I would not count the whole €21,160 as available for the move. Ring-fence the emergency fund and insurance excess first, then price the move and only essential furniture. If the remaining amount cannot cover the inspection’s priority items plus a sensible surprise, I would wait. A comfortable monthly payment helps, but it does not solve a large repair soon after closing.
 
What is already included in the closing estimate? In particular, have you allowed for the first mortgage payment, insurance, any service charges, and overlap between the old and new homes? Timing matters as much as the total. I would also wait for the inspection before deciding: a maintained appearance means less if it identifies roofing, heating, drainage or other work that cannot be postponed.
 
I would not automatically delay. The purchase price makes €21,160 look small, but that comparison alone is not useful; the real issue is how quickly you can rebuild cash after moving and whether the inspection finds immediate repairs. Make three lists: costs due before or just after moving, repairs needed within the first year, and optional furniture. Postpone the third list, obtain actual moving and insurance figures, and recalculate. If that leaves no untouched emergency reserve, then waiting is the safer choice.
 
Back
Top