My preference is to move into a Montreal home with a meaningful cash cushion, but this purchase could leave only about C$21,600 available. The property is a five-bedroom detached home priced around C$1,289,000, and that balance is what remains once I account for the deposit and expected closing expenses.
There may be ordinary first-year repairs, particularly around heating or energy performance. The same money must also cover the move, insurance, utility or service setup charges, the first mortgage payment and at least basic furniture for a much larger space.
I am tempted to assign a little to every category, but the emergency reserve is the hardest one to rebuild quickly if an inspection item becomes urgent. How would you set a minimum untouchable amount, then divide the rest between essential repairs and moving? Furniture seems easiest to postpone, and if the basic numbers still leave the reserve too thin, I may need to lower the purchase budget.
There may be ordinary first-year repairs, particularly around heating or energy performance. The same money must also cover the move, insurance, utility or service setup charges, the first mortgage payment and at least basic furniture for a much larger space.
I am tempted to assign a little to every category, but the emergency reserve is the hardest one to rebuild quickly if an inspection item becomes urgent. How would you set a minimum untouchable amount, then divide the rest between essential repairs and moving? Furniture seems easiest to postpone, and if the basic numbers still leave the reserve too thin, I may need to lower the purchase budget.