The figure that changed my view was the cash remaining at the end: only about C$10,800 after the deposit and estimated closing costs. The property is a 2-bed country home around Montreal priced near C$1,282,000. I can manage the scheduled mortgage payment, but that small reserve could disappear quickly if the inspection identifies urgent work.
How much should remain completely untouched after allowing for the move, the first mortgage payment and essential repairs? Furniture can wait, but failed equipment or a serious inspection finding cannot. I am trying to work out whether a lower purchase price is the sensible answer rather than stretching the same C$10,800 across too many needs.
How much should remain completely untouched after allowing for the move, the first mortgage payment and essential repairs? Furniture can wait, but failed equipment or a serious inspection finding cannot. I am trying to work out whether a lower purchase price is the sensible answer rather than stretching the same C$10,800 across too many needs.