wren_tools
Homeowner
If I judge this too optimistically, one routine repair could turn the first year of ownership into a cash-flow problem. I am therefore questioning whether to proceed near my limit or make a lower price a condition of buying.
The property is a 1-bed coastal home in New York priced at roughly $1,370,000. Once the deposit and estimated closing expenses are paid, I expect to retain about $39,000. That sum would need to cover the move, any urgent findings from the inspection, initial service charges, the policy excess and the opening mortgage instalment, while leaving a proper emergency reserve. Furniture is flexible and can be bought gradually.
How would you test whether that buffer is adequate? I am particularly interested in the point at which you would continue at the current price, seek a reduction based on the inspection, or step down to a less expensive property.
The property is a 1-bed coastal home in New York priced at roughly $1,370,000. Once the deposit and estimated closing expenses are paid, I expect to retain about $39,000. That sum would need to cover the move, any urgent findings from the inspection, initial service charges, the policy excess and the opening mortgage instalment, while leaving a proper emergency reserve. Furniture is flexible and can be bought gradually.
How would you test whether that buffer is adequate? I am particularly interested in the point at which you would continue at the current price, seek a reduction based on the inspection, or step down to a less expensive property.