Is a $14,000 post-closing buffer enough for a Phoenix townhouse?

I can keep the full $14,000 as breathing room, but then several inspection items would wait. I can address them promptly, but that would leave the reserve feeling uncomfortably small.

The property is a 3-bed Phoenix townhouse priced around $220,000, and the $14,000 is what I expect to retain after the deposit and closing costs. How should I stage spending on the move, essential furniture and repairs while protecting an emergency fund? Service charges, the insurance deductible and the first mortgage instalment also have to fit. I am willing to buy more cheaply if the known first-year costs make this too tight.
 
I’d protect the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for furniture. Then set aside separate amounts for the move, the first mortgage payment and only the inspection items that affect safety, water intrusion or further damage. Cosmetic work and most furniture can wait. The key is whether $14,000 remains comfortable after those known commitments, not whether it covers every item in the report.
 
What are your monthly essential expenses, and does the estimated closing figure already include prepaid insurance or any service charges due at purchase? Without that, $14,000 could represent several months of breathing room or much less. I’d also ask the inspector to distinguish defects needing prompt action from maintenance notes and optional improvements.
 
A townhouse can reduce some maintenance responsibility, but it can also expose an owner to shared costs that are harder to control. I would not choose the size of the reserve until that distinction is clear.

Check the governing documents for responsibility for the roof, exterior and shared systems, then ask whether major communal work or an extra charge is under discussion. If those items fall on individual owners, or the shared finances look weak, the $14,000 needs to cover a different level of risk and may change whether this purchase is affordable.
 
That’s fair, and it changes the order of operations. I’d make a one-page list with four columns: due at or just after closing, urgent inspection work, likely first-year maintenance, and optional purchases. Add the insurance excess and a normal month of essential spending to the first column. If the remaining emergency reserve looks thin after that exercise, lowering the target price is sensible.
 
I wouldn’t postpone literally all furniture if the place needs basics to function, but avoid furnishing three bedrooms immediately. Price the move and essential items before making an offer, confirm when the first mortgage payment is actually due, and get repair estimates for any serious inspection findings. If those known costs consume most of the $14,000, the report is giving you useful leverage to reconsider the price rather than merely creating anxiety.
 
Back
Top