Is 63 days a misleading measure for Bangkok multifamily listings?

timo.grove

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing Bangkok small multifamily properties listed between THB 40,320,000 and THB 60,480,000. My current sample suggests roughly 63 days to find a buyer, but it includes properties still online, and the longest-running listings often have higher service charges. Should I rely more heavily on recent completed sales? I’m concerned that withdrawn stock or a recent influx of new listings may be distorting the figure.
 
Completed sales will give you a better time-to-sale figure, while active listings only tell you their age so far. But don’t discard the active and withdrawn properties: they show what failed to clear. One missing detail is how you calculated the 63 days—is it the average age of today’s listings, or the period from initial listing to an agreed sale?
 
I’d be cautious about blaming service charges directly. They may be standing in for property condition, included services, or a particular neighbourhood. “Bangkok” is also broad enough that boundary choices could change the sample substantially. Split the properties into tighter areas and comparable condition bands before deciding the charges explain the outliers.
 
A practical approach is to group properties by listing month, then record sales, withdrawals and price cuts separately. Note when each cut occurred rather than using only the final asking price. I’d also flag cases where buyer financing or unusually strong seller motivation appears to have affected timing, although those details may not always be available. That should make the 63-day result easier to interpret.
 
I agree with the monthly grouping, but I wouldn’t combine withdrawn listings with completed deals when calculating time to sale. Keep three figures: completed-sale time, current age of active stock, and time until withdrawal. If the 63 days is mainly active-listing age, it cannot yet support the conclusion that these properties need 63 days to find a buyer.
 
Back
Top