Is $40,000 enough cash to keep after closing on a $680,000 townhouse?

direct_map

Homeowner
Established
After the deposit and estimated closing costs on a roughly $680,000 townhouse near San Francisco, we should have about $40,000 left. That would need to cover moving, furniture, first-year surprises and our emergency fund. The mortgage payment itself is comfortable, and the place appears maintained, but I know the inspection cannot reveal everything.

Would you proceed with that buffer or delay to save more? I’m especially interested in what tipped the decision for anyone who thought the reserve was too small or comfortably sufficient.
 
The total sounds potentially reasonable, but only if you divide it before judging it. Set aside the emergency fund first, then moving costs, the first mortgage payment, insurance deductible and any immediate work. Whatever remains is the furniture budget. If the numbers only work by treating all $40,000 as available spending money, I would wait.
 
What does the inspection actually identify, and are there service charges or association obligations attached to the townhouse? A maintained interior can coexist with an older roof, drainage issue or shared exterior work. I’d also ask whether your closing estimate already includes every prepaid item, because an underestimate there reduces the reserve before you move.
 
I’m a little less cautious than enelson. Furniture can be bought slowly, and most rooms do not need to be finished immediately. If the inspection is clean enough, income is stable and a substantial part of the $40,000 stays untouched, delaying could simply exchange known affordability for uncertainty. I would not postpone solely to create a perfect first-year cushion.
 
A clean inspection should not carry too much weight. It describes visible conditions at that point in time; it does not make the first year predictable. I’d make two lists: work required before moving in and work that can wait six to twelve months. Get estimates for the required items, then add moving and insurance costs. That gives you a better answer than comparing $40,000 with the purchase price.
 
Also stress-test the reserve against two problems happening together, not just one. For example, an urgent repair plus a period of reduced income. If that would force you onto expensive debt, the comfortable monthly payment is not the whole picture. On the other hand, if your regular income can rebuild the cash fairly quickly, the same $40,000 is more protective.
 
Before deciding, I’d wait for the inspection findings and obtain the townhouse’s shared-cost information. Then assign fixed amounts to: untouched emergency cash, closing-estimate overrun, moving, immediate repairs and the insurance deductible. Put furniture last and buy only essentials at first. If those categories fit without shrinking the emergency portion, proceeding seems defensible; if repairs and shared obligations consume most of it, delaying is the safer choice.
 
Back
Top