Is ¥2.295m enough cash to keep after buying a ¥153m Osaka apartment?

anika.dean

Tenant planning to buy
Established
I’m coming to this late, but I’d rather ask now than guess after closing. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would have roughly ¥2,295,000 left if I buy the 5-bed serviced apartment I’m considering in Osaka for around ¥153,000,000.

That remainder would need to cover some combination of emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs, furniture, service charges, any insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. The inspection may also uncover ordinary first-year work.

How would you divide that buffer? I’m leaning toward buying slightly below my maximum rather than having every small issue become a financial emergency.
 
If ¥2.295m is your entire remaining cash reserve, I’d consider it tight. Ring-fence the emergency fund first, plus known payments due shortly after closing. Moving, repairs and furniture then have to fit into what remains—not compete with emergency money.

For five bedrooms, furnishing everything immediately could consume the buffer surprisingly quickly. Unless every room is needed from day one, phase that part.
 
A few missing details could change the answer: Does the ¥2.295m already account for the first mortgage debit, insurance and the next service-charge payment? What does “serviced” include, particularly furniture and maintenance? Also, how quickly can monthly income rebuild the cash?

I’d ask the lender and building management for the exact amounts and payment dates, then wait for the inspection before settling on a repair allowance.
 
I wouldn’t judge it only by comparing ¥2.295m with the ¥153m purchase price. A more expensive property does not automatically create proportionally higher moving costs, and a strong monthly surplus can make a smaller closing balance manageable.

The caveat is that several modest bills can arrive together. Make one list of fixed post-closing payments and another of uncertain items. If the fixed list already takes a large bite, buying below the maximum is the sensible move.
 
One more point: ask the inspector to separate findings into work needed immediately, work likely within the first year, and cosmetic items. That makes the buffer easier to plan than treating every observation as an urgent repair.

I’d postpone cosmetic work and nonessential bedroom furniture. Keep the insurance excess accessible rather than mentally spending it, and confirm whether service charges are monthly, prepaid or due on another schedule.
 
I’m closer to mortiz on this. Monthly income may replenish the account, but it does not help if moving, the first mortgage payment and an urgent repair all land before the next few paydays.

Before offering, put actual figures beside four buckets: untouchable emergency cash, dated building/mortgage/insurance payments, moving and essential repairs, then furniture. If the fourth bucket only works by raiding the first, the target price is too high or the furnishing plan needs to be phased.
 
Back
Top