Indonesia villa purchase: costs that depend on ownership structure

jade_deals

Real estate lawyer
Established
Founding Member
At roughly IDR 3,912,000,000, the ownership route could matter as much as the obvious transaction expenses. The villa purchase is being handled in Jakarta, and I can identify transfer tax, notary or legal work, and registration fees, but I cannot sensibly estimate the rest until the permitted structure is clear.

What should I ask a licensed local professional to set out separately? I want to cover acquisition costs, annual property charges, residency assumptions, future sale and capital-gains treatment, and inheritance consequences rather than rely on one headline percentage.
 
To clarify, I’m not looking for a single percentage to add to the price. I want separate estimates for acquisition, yearly holding, rental income if applicable, eventual sale, and inheritance. It would also help to know which costs should be confirmed before agreeing on an ownership structure rather than after signing.
 
Ask for side-by-side written costings for every structure that is actually available to you. The useful question is not just “what is due at closing?” but also whose name each charge falls under, what value it is calculated from, and whether the quote includes registration and later compliance work. Also clarify whether the villa is intended for personal use, rental, or both—the answer may change the relevant tax questions.
 
Getting the ownership assumptions wrong could make a neat cost comparison almost worthless. Sale and inheritance consequences belong in the planning, but they are not fixed transaction expenses and may change with residency, use, value or the length of ownership.

Before comparing totals, I’d ask which property rights are actually being offered and which structures are available for this buyer’s nationality and residency status. The intended use and holding period matter too. Once those facts are established, the professional can separate costs that can be priced now from later liabilities that can only be illustrated under stated assumptions.
 
A practical way forward is to send the professional one table with five columns: charge, payer, calculation basis, payment date, and recurring or one-off. Request separate rows for transfer tax, notary work, registration, annual property charges, rental-related obligations, sale, and inheritance planning. Then ask what is excluded from the IDR 3,912,000,000 price and which assumptions depend on residency or the permitted ownership structure. That should expose gaps without relying on a headline closing-cost percentage.
 
Back
Top