How would you adjust the limited comparables for this Nairobi country home?

alex.gale

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
KES 155,400,000 is difficult to assess when the evidence consists mainly of current listings. The property is a 1-bed country home in Nairobi with about 180 m² and average condition. Its light and location appeal to me, but the dated finish and possible service charges weaken the case.

The central assumption I’m questioning is whether internal area provides a useful basis at all. A 180 m² house with substantial land, parking and private outdoor space is not comparable to a similarly sized unit in a managed development. I have located three active comparables and one achieved transaction, but I do not want to manufacture a precise adjustment from that thin group.

What would you verify first: the exact micro-location, the ownership or remaining lease terms, what land and parking are included, or the recurring charges? My next step is to separate those features from the building area and then have the result checked through a local appraisal.
 
I would not apply a standard percentage for either size or condition from such a thin set. For floor area, use the marginal rate indicated by the closest comparables rather than multiplying all 180 m² by an average rate. For condition, build a low-to-high cost-to-cure allowance based on the actual dated items.

Lease length could overturn everything, but if that is satisfactory, precise micro-location is probably the biggest value driver.
 
What does “country home” mean in this listing: a house with meaningful land, or a unit within a managed development? That affects whether 180 m² is even the right basis for comparison. At the asking price the simple rate is about KES 863,333 per m², but that number is not very informative if outdoor space, parking and shared facilities account for a large part of the value.
 
That distinction is exactly what I need to pin down. I will ask for the basis of the 180 m² measurement, the tenure and remaining lease term, an itemised service-charge figure, and details of any exclusive parking or outdoor space. I will also map the comparables more tightly rather than treating all of Nairobi as one market.
 
I slightly disagree that condition should be approached mainly through renovation cost. Buyers may discount dated finishes by less than the cost of replacing them if everything remains functional, or by more if the presentation makes the property difficult to sell. I would grade condition consistently across all four properties first, then use repair costs only to test whether the inferred adjustment is plausible.
 
The 1-bed layout deserves attention too. At 180 m², find out what the area actually contains and whether the completed comparable has a similarly unusual bedroom-to-floor-area relationship. A larger two- or three-bed property is not automatically comparable merely because its total area is close. Layout utility can explain a price difference that otherwise gets wrongly attributed to condition.
 
I would make a simple comparison table: completed or asking, exact micro-location, property form, internal area and measurement basis, bedroom count, condition, tenure, service charges, parking and outdoor space. Leave entries blank rather than assuming. Then give the completed sale the greatest weight and use the three listings mainly to show the current seller expectations and to bracket features missing from the sale.
 
One caution: even the completed sale may deserve little weight if it is in a different pocket, has materially different tenure, or sold on a timeline that does not reflect the current listings. “Completed” is better evidence than “asking,” but not automatically good evidence. I would want its completion timing and comparability established before extracting any floor-area adjustment from it.
 
Agreed. The sensible next step is not choosing an adjustment percentage yet; it is reducing the unknowns. Verify the sole sale, confirm its timing, and obtain the tenure, measurement basis, service charges, parking and outdoor-space details for the subject. After that, run at least two valuation cases: one using only closely matched evidence and another with broader comparables plus explicit adjustments. If those cases diverge widely, the evidence is too weak to support KES 155,400,000 without stronger local appraisal input.
 
Back
Top