How would you adjust the comparables for this 90 m² Warsaw villa?

kian_roofs

Landlord
Established
PLN 2,014,000 looks ambitious enough to need careful support, especially after 70 days on the market. The property is a 1-bed Warsaw villa of about 90 m², with good light and location but fairly dated finishes.

My evidence is thin: three active listings and a single recorded transaction. I do not want to assume that every extra square metre adds value at the same rate, particularly with only one bedroom. How would you allow for usable layout and refurbishment needs?

I am also trying to identify the detail that could overturn the comparison altogether. Would that be the precise street, the remaining lease term and related payments, or whether parking and outdoor space are private and usable? I will still commission a local appraisal before making a decision.
 
The completed transaction is the strongest starting point, but I would hesitate to let one sale dictate the whole valuation. First check how close it really is in street, sale date, tenure and outdoor provision. The active listings can then show whether the current ask sits above or below competing stock, even though they do not prove achieved value.

For size, compare total price as well as price per square metre and discount space that does not improve the layout. For condition, list the dated elements and attach costs only where there is a real difference, rather than applying a broad percentage.

The remaining lease term would change my answer most because it is harder to remedy than decoration. After that, I would want the exact micro-location and confirmation that any garden or parking is exclusive.
 
The 1-bed layout is the detail that jumps out. At 90 m², is the space genuinely usable, or is a lot taken by circulation, storage or awkward rooms? Bedroom count may narrow the buyer pool even if the floor area looks generous.

I’d also want to know whether parking and outdoor space are included, exclusive and usable. Those could explain a large gap between superficially similar villas.
 
“Average condition” needs breaking down before assigning any range. Dated decoration is different from dated kitchen and bathrooms, and both are different again from windows, heating, roof or moisture issues. Grade each comparable component by component, then adjust only where there is an identifiable difference. Otherwise the condition allowance can become whatever number is needed to justify the asking price.
 
I’m not convinced micro-location is automatically the most important unknown. First establish exactly what property rights are being sold and whether any lease length or recurring service charges apply. If the comparables were selected on a different ownership or cost basis, their apparent price-per-metre relationship may be misleading before condition is even considered.
 
Seventy days is useful context, but it does not prove the seller will accept less. The asking comparables may also have been sitting unsold or may have changed price. I’d record original ask, current ask, time advertised and current status where that information is available. That should help separate genuine competition from optimistic listings without pretending their asking prices are completed transactions.
 
PLN 2,014,000 over 90 m² is roughly PLN 22,378 per m², but I would use that only as a sense check. If the completed comparable is smaller, applying its full per-metre rate to every additional square metre may overvalue the villa. Adjust first for location, parking and outdoor space, then test a lower marginal rate for the size difference rather than one flat calculation.
 
A small comparison table would keep this disciplined: achieved or asking price, floor area, layout, precise micro-location, condition by major component, parking, outdoor space, property rights and recurring charges. Mark unknowns instead of filling them with assumptions. Then produce a valuation interval under optimistic and conservative treatments of those unknowns. With only one completed sale, the width of that interval is meaningful information, not a flaw.
 
The later comments change my priority slightly. I’d first confirm the ownership basis, recurring charges, parking and outdoor-space rights; then investigate why 90 m² produces only one bedroom. After that, place the completed sale at the centre and use the listings only to test whether the resulting range is plausible. I would not apply a single generic condition percentage until the dated elements and any larger works have been separated.
 
Back
Top