How to frame a 7% below-asking offer on a Brussels coastal home

friendly_kite

Seller
Established
I’ve narrowed the proposed offer to 7% under the €1,012,000 asking price, but that leaves me wondering how much justification is actually helpful. This one-bedroom coastal home is listed in Brussels, has been on the market for 78 days and appears dated, yet there are too few completed sales for me to put a confident value on it.

I’m not convinced that 78 days alone says much about the seller’s willingness to negotiate. Would it be better to give only the condition and limited sales evidence, then emphasise reliable financing and flexible completion? For example, I could accept the existing finishes without demanding small repairs, while keeping inspection protection for a major structural problem. I also want to avoid exposing the deposit if financing or an expensive unknown changes the deal. What would you ask the agent about the seller before putting that in writing?
 
Seven per cent is defensible as an opening, provided you keep the explanation short: limited completed-sale evidence, condition, and the certainty offered by your financing and flexible timing. Don’t itemise every dated finish.

I would retain financing and inspection protection, with the latter limited to major structural or costly defects. Give the offer a reasonable response deadline so it is a serious proposal rather than an invitation to negotiate indefinitely.
 
Before choosing the wording, can you clarify what “coastal home in Brussels” means in the listing? That could affect which properties are genuinely comparable.

Also ask the agent what matters to the seller besides price. After 78 days they may value timing or certainty, but days on market alone does not prove they will accept less. Do you have proof of financing ready to accompany the offer?
 
I’d be cautious about justifying the full 7% through updating costs. Unless there are quotes, the seller can dismiss that as your taste rather than a defect. Completed comparables would be stronger, even if there are only a few.

I also disagree with asking for a broad repair credit after already discounting the price. Make the initial figure reflect visible updating, then reserve renegotiation for genuinely expensive inspection findings. Otherwise it can look like two attempts to reduce the same price.
 
Structure it as a clean package: price, financing evidence, preferred but flexible completion window, a clear response deadline, and narrowly drafted conditions. Do not waive protection around financing, a lender valuation or appraisal gap you cannot fund, or major inspection findings. Be equally clear about when the deposit becomes exposed.

Because the consequences of signed offers and contingency wording depend on Belgian procedure and the exact documents, have the offer reviewed locally before submission. That matters more than making the rationale sound persuasive.
 
Back
Top