How should rising insurance and reserves affect a Sydney apartment valuation?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
I can see two defensible approaches: value the apartment using the new outgoings, or assume some of the recent increase will unwind. The second makes the purchase look better, but it worries me because neither the building insurance premium nor the reserve contributions are under my control.

I am near the purchase deadline for a Sydney apartment, and the higher monthly building costs now absorb much of the advantage I saw over renting. I am reviewing the reason for the reserve increase, the insurance exclusions and loss-assessment cover. What evidence would distinguish a temporary catch-up from a permanently more expensive building? Would your answer also change depending on whether tenant demand is strong enough for the apartment to work as a rental later?
 
I would make the decision using today’s higher figure and treat any later reduction as upside. Otherwise you are relying on a cost you do not control coming down. The important missing detail is why the reserve contribution rose: planned maintenance, rebuilding a depleted reserve, or a broader ongoing increase? Ask for a clear breakdown and the contribution history before deciding.
 
Is this intended as your home or a rental? For an investment, tenant demand and vacancy risk matter more than whether ownership narrowly beats your current rent. For a home, the predictability of the monthly outlay may be the bigger issue. I’d also compare energy use and likely maintenance inside the unit, not just purchase price versus association costs.
 
I wouldn’t assume every part of the rise is permanent. A finite reserve catch-up is different from recurring insurance and maintenance costs. But Clara’s conservative valuation approach still makes sense until you can separate them.

Also consider resale liquidity: another buyer may react to the headline monthly figure even if the reserve is healthier. I’d request an explanation of each increase, model both current and lower future contributions, and walk away if the deal only works in the optimistic case.
 
Back
Top