How should I split a ₹2,004,000 post-closing buffer?

studyTheRoom

Homeowner
Established
Only about ₹2,004,000 would be left after the deposit and expected closing costs. Against a roughly ₹68,470,000 purchase, that suddenly looks like a fairly thin reserve rather than spare money.

The five-bedroom country home near Bengaluru still has to be inspected, and any immediate repairs would come from the same pot as moving costs and emergencies. I also have to account for the first mortgage payment, possible recurring charges and the insurance excess before considering furniture.

Would you wait for the inspection and then set strict amounts for each item, or is the remaining cash already a reason to buy further below my limit? I do not want an ordinary repair finding to leave me short of working cash just after completion.
 
I’d ring-fence the emergency fund and first mortgage payment before allocating anything to furniture. Moving gets its own realistic allowance, while the repair amount should depend on the inspection rather than a guess. Furniture can be bought room by room.

Do you already know whether this property has recurring service charges and what the insurance excess would be? Those missing figures could materially reduce the ₹2,004,000.
 
The hard limit is the cash that must remain untouched after moving and the first mortgage payment. Until the inspection findings and the recurring charges are known, the rest of the ₹2,004,000 is not really available for furnishing.

I would price the urgent findings first, separating safety and weatherproofing from work that can wait. Then allow for the insurance excess and a realistic move, and furnish only the rooms needed immediately. If that leaves too little emergency money against a ₹68,470,000 purchase, choosing a less expensive property is safer than trying to make every category fit.
 
Back
Top