How should I split a KES 3.612m post-closing buffer?

nia.voss

Homeowner
Established
I have worked through the deposit and estimated completion costs, but I am still unsure how much cash must remain untouched afterward. The property is a one-bedroom new-build flat in Nairobi priced around KES 133,500,000, and my remaining buffer would be about KES 3,612,000.

That sum may have to absorb the move, the initial mortgage and service-charge demands, the insurance excess, inspection-related work and basic furniture. My instinct is to protect the emergency reserve first because furniture can be delayed, whereas a payment due at completion cannot. How would you divide the money between fixed near-term obligations, urgent repairs and costs that can wait?
 
I wouldn’t divide it evenly. First ring-fence several months of essential outgoings, including the mortgage and service charge. Then reserve the known moving and first-payment costs. Keep a separate but fairly small amount for inspection items and basic furniture, increasing it only when you have actual quotes. A sofa can wait; cash for a mortgage payment cannot.
 
Do you know when the first mortgage payment and initial service-charge demand fall due? Those dates matter more than a neat percentage split. Also ask what the insurance excess would be and whether any service charge is payable in advance. Your KES 3,612,000 may look comfortable until several completion-related payments arrive together.
 
I’d be cautious about creating a large “repairs” pot before seeing the inspection. With a new build, some findings may be snagging matters to raise with the developer, depending on the contract, rather than work you should immediately fund yourself. Keep that money liquid and unassigned for now. I’d also delay most non-essential furniture until you have lived in the flat and know what actually fits.
 
The timing point is the gap in my planning. I have been treating closing as one event rather than a sequence of payments. I’ll get the first mortgage date, service-charge amount and payment schedule confirmed before choosing a price ceiling. I’ll also split the inspection findings into urgent items, snagging to raise with the developer, and cosmetic work that can wait. Furniture will be limited to essentials initially.
 
That approach gives you a better decision rule: start with KES 3,612,000, subtract every confirmed completion and moving payment, then protect your chosen emergency minimum. Only what remains is available for furniture or optional work.

Before committing, put the mortgage payment, service charge, insurance excess, moving estimate and urgent inspection allowance on one page with their likely payment dates. If the remaining emergency fund feels too thin after that exercise, buying below the KES 133,500,000 target is the sensible adjustment—not trying to make the buffer cover too many jobs.
 
Back
Top