How should I split a C$55,350 post-closing buffer?

alex_research

First-time buyer
I’m considering a 1-bed duplex in Toronto for around C$276,800. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I should have roughly C$55,350 left in cash. The inspection may still uncover ordinary first-year work, and I would rather buy below my maximum than turn every repair into an emergency.

How would you divide that remainder among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I’m also trying not to overlook service charges, the insurance deductible or the timing of the first mortgage payment.
 
I’d keep the largest portion completely untouched as the emergency fund, then create separate limits for moving and inspection-related work. Furniture would come last unless something is genuinely necessary on day one.

Before assigning amounts, is this duplex a condo unit or another ownership arrangement? Any recurring fees or shared maintenance obligations could materially change the monthly cushion you need. Also confirm which closing expenses are already included in your estimate.
 
I’d be cautious about dividing all C$55,350 into spending categories. A repair allowance is still cash available until you actually authorize work, so keep most of it liquid rather than feeling obliged to furnish or renovate immediately.

Once the inspection arrives, sort findings into urgent, first-year and cosmetic. Get costs for the urgent items, reserve moving expenses plus the first mortgage payment and insurance deductible, and live in the place before buying nonessential furniture. If the urgent list would leave the emergency fund uncomfortably thin, that is a reason to renegotiate your plan or walk away—not merely reshuffle the buckets.
 
Back
Top