How should I split a $27,000 post-closing buffer on an $835,000 LA flat?

QuinnDrew

Homeowner
The $27,000 cushion looks reassuring until I list everything it may have to cover. My specific concern is ending up with no genuine reserve after purchasing a four-bedroom new-build flat in Los Angeles for about $835,000.

That balance would need to accommodate the move, essential findings from the inspection, basic setup and anything I cannot defer. Recurring building fees, the insurance deductible and the initial loan instalment may also fall near completion, while furniture could wait.

How much would you keep entirely separate as emergency savings, and how much would you assign to the other categories? I would sooner reduce the purchase price than turn routine first-year costs into a crisis. Yesterday the flat felt exciting; today each compromise feels much bigger.
 
I would keep more than half of the $27,000 completely untouched. As a rough planning exercise, perhaps $15,000 emergency savings, $5,000 for moving and setup, $4,000 for inspection-related work and $3,000 for furniture. Adjust once you have real quotes.

More importantly, make sure the closing estimate, service charges, insurance and first mortgage payment are not quietly competing for that same money.
 
That last point is what worries me. I had been thinking of the $27,000 as one reassuring number rather than several obligations piled together. I’m going to separate the recurring housing costs and first payment from the moving and repair budget before deciding whether the price is genuinely comfortable.
 
I would not reserve a fixed $4,000 for repairs before seeing the inspection. A new build can have defects, but some findings may be cosmetic rather than urgent, while one important item could exceed an arbitrary allowance. Keep that portion flexible, list findings by urgency, and confirm in writing who is expected to address each one. Do not assume every first-year issue will automatically be dealt with for you.
 
Is the $27,000 calculated after every prepaid and closing item shown in your latest estimate, or only the headline closing costs? That distinction could materially change the buffer. I’d ask for an updated itemised figure, then write down the monthly service charge, insurance excess, moving quote and payment schedule rather than relying on estimates from memory.
 
Also, four bedrooms create a strong temptation to furnish four bedrooms immediately. Unless every room is needed from day one, buy the essentials and leave the rest sparse. Furniture is the easiest category to delay; an emergency fund is the hardest category to rebuild while adjusting to a new mortgage and service charges.
 
The proposed split was only a starting point, and Helena is right that the inspection should determine the repair figure. I’d now work backwards: choose the minimum emergency reserve you refuse to cross, subtract known moving and payment costs, then see what remains for repairs and furniture. If that remainder feels unworkable, the answer may be a lower purchase price rather than a more optimistic budget.
 
Back
Top