How should I split a £17,160 post-completion buffer?

MaraSage

Buyer
Established
Keeping the full £17,160 untouched would leave nothing for moving or basic furniture, but spending from it immediately would make the first repair uncomfortable. Neither option feels sensible after 45 days of checking the figures for a three-bedroom London duplex priced around £171,600.

The inspection may identify routine first-year jobs rather than a major defect. I am leaning towards reserving emergency cash and the insurance excess first, then allowing for moving costs and urgent repairs, with furniture bought gradually. What allocation would you use, and would service charges, building-level work or a costly inspection finding be enough reason to reduce the purchase budget further?
 
I’d keep at least half completely untouched as the emergency fund. From the rest, set aside moving costs and a repair pot before allocating anything to furniture; most non-essential furniture can wait. Also leave enough accessible for the first mortgage payment, the insurance excess and any completion costs that come in above the estimate.
 
Is the duplex leasehold, and have you included service charges in the monthly budget? That could change the answer more than the furniture allowance. I’d also want to know whether the inspection identifies work inside the property or an issue involving the wider building, because responsibility and likely cost may differ.
 
That is the gap in my spreadsheet: I allowed for normal monthly ownership costs, but not a separate cushion for an unexpected service-charge demand or building issue. I’ll confirm the tenure, current charges and who is responsible for the parts flagged by the inspection. Furniture can definitely be phased; keeping the emergency portion intact matters more.
 
I would not assign the whole £17,160 until the inspection and final completion figures are available. Make three lists: work needed immediately, work that can wait six months, and cosmetic items. Get estimates for the first list, map the first mortgage payment and other early bills by date, then ring-fence the emergency money. If that leaves too little, the sensible response is a lower offer or a different property—not shrinking the emergency fund to make the purchase fit.
 
Back
Top