How should I frame a 12% below-asking offer after 92 days?

The listing has now reached 92 days, which raises a new question about whether the seller’s position has changed. It is a coastal home described as being in Madrid, listed at €234,600 and requiring updates. Similar nearby properties are advertised around the same level, but there is little evidence from closed transactions.

I am considering €206,448 as an opening offer, 12% under the asking price, supported by solid financing and a flexible completion date. If the seller values certainty or timing, I would emphasise those terms; if price is the overriding concern, I may need stronger comparable evidence before choosing that exact discount. How can I present the offer without making it sound arbitrary?

I also want to keep appropriate protection for inspection, financing and valuation. How would you handle an appraisal shortfall, repair credits and the circumstances in which the deposit could be exposed?
 
Keep the explanation short and factual: 92 days on the market, the updating required, and limited evidence from completed comparables. Present the flexible completion date and financing proof as strengths rather than claiming the property is overpriced. Include a clear response deadline.

I would not waive inspection or financing protection. If a lender is involved, think carefully before accepting an appraisal gap. Repairs can be discussed as credits after inspection rather than estimated twice in the initial discount.
 
I’d be more cautious than Fatima about leading at exactly 12% below. Without completed comparables, it may look arbitrary even if the property needs work. First ask the agent what matters to the seller: price, timing, certainty, or avoiding repair negotiations. That answer could change how you structure the offer.

Also, can you clarify what “coastal home in Madrid” means? The precise location could materially affect the comparable set. Before paying any deposit, make sure the written terms clearly address financing, inspection, appraisal and when the deposit could be at risk under the applicable Spanish arrangements.
 
Back
Top