How should I divide a $44,000 buffer after closing?

kai_cole

Buyer
Established
$44,000 is the buffer I expect to retain after buying a $295,000 one-bedroom coastal home. I’m a first-time buyer in Atlanta, and the inspection has not yet shown what the first year may require.

My priority is to keep a genuine emergency reserve, including room for the initial mortgage bill and an insurance deductible. The harder choice is what remains liquid for moving, urgent inspection work and possible building fees, versus what can go on furniture. If the inspection is clean, I could furnish gradually; if it identifies immediate repairs, I would rather delay those reversible purchases than stretch to my maximum.
 
I would keep the emergency fund separate first, including enough room for the first mortgage payment and insurance excess. Then make temporary pots for moving and only the inspection items that are urgent. Furniture would come last; a sparse home for a few months is less risky than spending heavily before you understand its running costs.

Is this a condo or another property with service charges? If so, the amount and payment schedule could materially change the calculation.
 
I would not assign firm amounts before the inspection and insurance quote. Coastal exposure can affect what the policy covers and how much cash you might need if there is a claim. Also ask for the service-charge history and upcoming work, if applicable. Keep most of the $44,000 liquid until those figures and the moving quote are known; furniture can be purchased gradually.
 
Back
Top