How should I compare a 5.96% one-year fixed mortgage quote near Johannesburg?

signal.wide

First-time buyer
I’ve checked the headline rate and the basic repayment illustration. What I still cannot see clearly is which offer is cheaper if I move or refinance early.

The purchase near Johannesburg is around ZAR 20,380,000, and one lender has offered 5.96% fixed for 1 year. Once I account for the lender’s fee and the applicable LTV band, the apparent saving becomes less obvious. Should I compare the cash paid over those 12 months plus the remaining balance, rather than rely on APR? I also need to pin down early-repayment costs and whether the loan can be moved to another property.
 
For a one-year fix, I would compare total cost over the same 12-month period rather than lead with APR. Add the payments and upfront fees, then subtract the principal repaid so you can see the actual financing cost. Also record the outstanding balance after month 12. A cheaper first year can leave you owing more.
 
Are the arrangement fees payable in cash or being added to the loan? That affects both the first-year cash requirement and later interest. I would also ask every lender to price the exact same loan-to-value tier; otherwise you are comparing different deals rather than different lenders.
 
I would not stop at the 12-month total. A one-year comparison can make the quote look attractive while hiding the bigger uncertainty: what rate applies after the fix, and how realistic is refinancing then? Run at least one scenario where you cannot refinance promptly and the loan resets on the lender’s stated terms.
 
Portability needs more detail than a simple yes or no. Ask whether it preserves the 5.96% rate, whether another affordability assessment is required, and what happens if the replacement property needs a larger or smaller loan. A feature called portable may still be of limited use for your likely move.
 
Mila’s 12-month method and Camila’s reset warning can fit in one sheet. I’d use three columns: refinance after one year, remain with the lender after reset, and repay or sell during the fixed period. For each, include fees, monthly payments, principal remaining and any early-repayment cost disclosed in the quote.
 
Monthly affordability deserves its own test. The quoted payment may be manageable at 5.96%, but what payment could you tolerate after the fixed year without relying on a successful refinance? I would choose a stress rate for personal budgeting rather than assuming the next offer will be equally competitive.
 
APR is still useful if every lender calculates and presents it on a comparable basis, but it answers a different question. It can spread upfront costs over assumptions that may not match a one-year holding period. For this decision I’d keep APR as a reference, with first-year cash cost and the month-12 balance beside it.
 
On early repayment, separate partial overpayments from full settlement. The treatment may also differ depending on whether you refinance, sell the property or simply pay down capital. Ask for worked amounts at month 6 and month 12 rather than relying only on broad wording.
 
The arrangement fee needs a break-even calculation. Compare the higher-fee offer with the best lower-fee alternative and work out whether the interest saving within the fixed year actually recovers that extra fee. If it does not, the advertised rate is mostly cosmetic for your expected timeline.
 
One more column I’d add is cash needed at completion. Two offers can have similar overall cost but very different upfront demands if one rolls fees into the balance. With a purchase around ZAR 20,380,000, that distinction could matter even when the percentage difference looks small.
 
Before modelling anything, confirm in writing what the 5.96% applies to: the exact borrowing amount, the stated loan-to-value tier and the full one-year period. Also ask what assumptions sit behind the advertised lower rate. Otherwise the spreadsheet may compare your firm quote with an example for a different borrower profile.
 
Agreed. I’d request identical written illustrations from the shortlisted lenders, then compare four numbers: cash due upfront, financing cost through month 12, balance remaining at month 12 and payment after the reset under the terms shown. Keep portability and early settlement as separate deal-breaker questions rather than trying to compress everything into one percentage.
 
Back
Top