How should I compare a 2.70% three-year fixed mortgage quote?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
I have a 2.70% quote for a three-year fixed period on a Sydney property purchase around A$1,604,000. The advertised rate was lower, but the arrangement fees and the loan-to-value tier changed the picture.

What figure would you use to compare lenders: the comparison rate, interest over the fixed period, or total cash cost including fees? I am also looking at monthly affordability, portability and early-repayment terms because I may not keep the same loan for the full term.
 
For a three-year decision, I would compare total cash paid during those three years: interest, compulsory fees and any upfront costs, using the same loan amount and repayment structure for every quote. A broader comparison rate can be useful, but its assumptions may not match your likely holding period. Keep the remaining balance after three years beside the cash-cost figure too.
 
What loan amount are you actually seeking against the A$1,604,000 purchase? Without the deposit and resulting loan-to-value ratio, it is difficult to tell whether another advertised rate is genuinely available to you. Also ask whether any fee has been added to the loan, because that changes both the opening balance and the interest calculation.
 
I would not optimise solely for the first three years. The reset is the larger unknown: what rate does the loan move to afterward, and what repayment would that imply? Run at least one less-comfortable reset scenario. Refinancing is an option, not a certainty, particularly if the property value, income or lending criteria move against you.
 
That is sensible, but I would not give much weight to the quoted post-fixed rate today. It can change long before the three years finish. The more useful question is whether DiegoMartin can comfortably afford the present payment while building enough room for a higher one later. A refinance assumption should be tested, but not treated as the base plan.
 
Portability also needs unpacking. Does it merely allow the loan to follow you to another acceptable property, or does it preserve the fixed rate and avoid early-repayment charges? Ask the lender to explain what happens if sale and purchase dates do not align. A feature called “portable” may still have conditions that make it less useful for your likely move.
 
I would put the quotes into a simple table with identical assumptions:

• starting loan and loan-to-value tier • required monthly payment • all upfront and ongoing fees over 36 months • total interest over 36 months • balance remaining at month 36 • early-repayment consequences at several exit dates • treatment after the fixed period

That separates the cheapest three-year cash cost from the loan with the most flexibility.
 
One caveat on early repayment: do not reduce it to a single quoted fee. The consequence may depend on when and how much you repay, so ask for worked examples for selling after one year, after two years, and just before the fixed period ends. Then choose based on your realistic plans. A slightly higher three-year cost could be worthwhile if moving is genuinely plausible, but not for flexibility you are unlikely to use.
 
Back
Top