How much weight should I give 94 days on market in Madrid?

even_echo

First-time buyer
I’m trying to decide how firmly to negotiate on Madrid new-build flats priced around €253,900–€380,900. The comparable listings I’m watching average roughly 94 days on market, but the market feels split rather than broadly fast or slow. Homes with a clear explanation of maintenance costs and responsibilities seem to move differently.

Would you treat 94 days as leverage, or concentrate on price-cut timing and seller motivation? Recent completed examples would be particularly useful, especially where the final price differed from the visible asking-price history.
 
I wouldn’t make 94 days the basis of an offer by itself. With a new build, the advertised unit may be part of a wider release, so listing age does not necessarily measure how long that particular seller has been waiting. Ask which units are actually available, when the price last changed, what maintenance information is unresolved, and whether your financing timetable makes your offer easier to accept.
 
That distinction between the age of the advertisement and the availability of the individual unit is exactly what I was missing. I’m not assuming 94 days automatically means distress, but I do want a defensible way to separate stale stock from listings that are simply being marketed in phases. Would withdrawn and later relisted units belong in the same comparison?
 
Yes, but keep them in a separate column rather than resetting the clock or treating every relisting as continuous. Also, how tightly are you drawing the neighbourhood boundaries? Two flats both described as Madrid new builds can face very different demand if the comparison crosses into a less convenient micro-location. Condition and completion status matter too, even within one development.
 
One more complication: public asking history can show seller behaviour, but it cannot by itself tell you the completed price. A cut followed by withdrawal might mean a sale, a change of plan, or a fresh marketing attempt. I’d give more weight to a genuinely completed comparable than to several portal histories whose outcomes are unknown.
 
I partly disagree with reading motivation from the timing of cuts. A seller can reduce early because the original price was exploratory, while another can sit for 94 days and still refuse to move. Test the position with an offer that explains the comparison, your financing readiness and preferred timetable. Keep price separate from requests about maintenance clarification or other unresolved property points.
 
A simple comparison sheet would help: same development or nearest sensible boundary, original ask, latest ask, days continuously advertised, withdrawal or relisting, completion/condition, maintenance information, and whether the outcome is confirmed. That should expose whether the apparent discount is concentrated in weaker units rather than reflecting the Madrid market generally.
 
Don’t overlook new-listing volume. If similar units keep appearing while older ones remain available, buyers may have room to negotiate even without dramatic price cuts. If very little genuinely comparable stock is replacing what sells or disappears, 94 days may offer less leverage than it seems. I’d compare current alternatives before deciding on an opening figure.
 
The practical answer is to negotiate from the closest available alternatives, not from the citywide label. Present two or three genuinely comparable units, note any unresolved maintenance or condition differences, and ask the seller to justify the premium. If they won’t move on price, you still learn whether timing or certainty matters to them. Treat withdrawn stock as evidence of supply history, not proof of a completed sale.
 
Back
Top