How much of ₹3,173,000 should I keep untouched after buying a coastal home?

Before I decide whether to proceed, I need to know whether the remaining cash provides real protection or only looks comfortable on paper. I’m a first-time buyer considering a 5-bed coastal home in Bengaluru at roughly ₹40,500,000, with about ₹3,173,000 expected to remain once the deposit and estimated transaction costs are covered.

That sum still has to handle the move, inspection results, urgent property work and later furnishing while leaving a genuine household reserve. I can postpone buying furniture, but not a defect affecting the roof or an essential system. How would you separate those pots, and at what point would the likely repair bill make a lower purchase price the better choice?
 
One detail I should add: the ₹3,173,000 is not yet divided into separate pots. I also need to allow for the first mortgage payment, any applicable service charges and the insurance excess rather than treating the whole amount as repair money. Would you set those sums aside before the inspection results, or wait until the likely work is clearer?
 
I’d define the emergency fund from your essential monthly outgoings, not as a percentage of the ₹40,500,000 price. Keep that amount separate and unavailable for decorating. Then create a property pot covering the move, first payment, insurance excess and urgent inspection items. Furniture comes from whatever remains. Do you already know your expected monthly essentials after the mortgage begins?
 
I want the purchase to remain viable, but the inspection is not the only obstacle. Coastal maintenance can produce several modest bills at once, so the insurance quote and any service charges could change the calculation as much as one obvious defect.

I’d make this a staged decision: obtain those figures, classify the report into urgent and deferrable work, then check whether the untouched reserve survives the combined total. If it does, proceeding may be reasonable; if it relies on nothing else going wrong, buying at the maximum looks too tight. How quickly could the buyer rebuild savings after completion?
 
I’d keep the emergency reserve intact, but the risk is forgetting payments that arrive before any repair work begins. Set aside the move, the first mortgage instalment, insurance costs and any confirmed service charge before assigning money to the inspection report.

Then fund findings that affect safety, weather protection or essential services. A leaking area takes priority; paint and an extra bed do not. This uses the costs already identified in the thread instead of letting one broad property budget get consumed by optional purchases.
 
I wouldn’t automatically assume the entire first year will be expensive, though. Over-reserving can push you toward a poorer-fit house when the inspection may show little urgent work. The missing facts are your monthly essential spending and how quickly you can rebuild savings after purchase. Those determine whether ₹3,173,000 is comfortable more than the bedroom count alone.
 
The sensible next step is a simple cash calendar rather than one percentage split. Include closing, moving day, the first mortgage payment, insurance, any confirmed service charge and each inspection item with a likely timing category: immediate, within a year, or optional. If the immediate total eats into the emergency fund, renegotiate the scope or price, delay the purchase, or walk away. Furniture should stay off that calendar unless it is genuinely necessary.
 
Back
Top