How much of ₹2,422,000 should stay untouched after buying a Bengaluru duplex?

studyTheRoom

Homeowner
Established
Getting this wrong would mean owning a ₹55,940,000 duplex but having no room for the first serious repair. I am looking at a 4-bed property in Bengaluru and expect to retain about ₹2,422,000 once the purchase expenses are covered.

My priority is to protect a household emergency fund before spending on non-essential rooms or furniture. I then need to allow for moving, the first loan instalment, service charges, the insurance excess and urgent inspection findings such as plumbing or waterproofing. What sequence would others use to set those amounts, and how much of the ₹2,422,000 should remain completely untouched?
 
I would first ring-fence the household emergency fund and enough for the first mortgage payment, moving and any charges due soon after possession. That money is not the repair budget. Only then would I allocate funds to urgent inspection items. Furniture beyond the basics comes last; an almost empty room is inconvenient, while no cash reserve is risky.
 
Is this duplex standalone or part of a managed development, and has the inspection happened yet? Service charges and responsibility for the roof or shared areas could materially change the calculation. I would also want to know your normal monthly spending, because ₹2,422,000 represents a very different safety margin for different households.
 
I slightly disagree with creating too many rigid pots before seeing the inspection. Cash is still cash, and the report may show either nothing urgent or one expensive priority. Decide on a minimum amount that remains completely untouched, then keep the rest flexible until you have written estimates. Otherwise you may mentally reserve money for furniture while delaying a more important repair.
 
A practical approach is to sort inspection findings into three groups: safety or active damage, work needed within the first year, and cosmetic items. Price the first group before committing to the purchase and leave a contingency because estimates can move once work starts. Also list every possession-month payment separately—moving, service charges, insurance excess if a claim arises, and the mortgage payment—so those do not quietly consume the repair allowance.
 
The untouched minimum plus flexible remainder suggested above makes sense. I would make furnishing a monthly project after moving rather than a closing expense: beds, basic seating and appliances first, spare rooms later. The bigger decision is whether the inspection and near-term charges leave enough of the ₹2,422,000 genuinely liquid. If not, lowering the purchase price is safer than trying to optimise dozens of small categories.
 
Back
Top