How much of my S$48,240 post-completion buffer should stay untouched?

simple_river

Buyer
Established
I’m torn between stretching for the right property and buying below my ceiling so the first repair does not wipe out my reserves. Completion would be about 96 days away on a 4-bed townhouse priced near S$1,822,000. My estimate leaves S$48,240 once the deposit and projected transaction costs are paid.

That sum still has several jobs to do. I want a meaningful emergency fund, but I also need cash for the move, inspection-led repairs and the essentials needed to live there. Service charges, the policy excess and the opening mortgage payment must be accounted for as well.

Would you ring-fence those known costs first and protect the rest, or set aside a repair pot before deciding how much can remain untouched? I am happy to postpone most furniture, but not necessary work on the roof or an essential system.
 
Before assigning percentages, confirm whether the S$48,240 is genuinely left after the first mortgage payment, moving, insurance and any service charges due near completion. If not, subtract those known items first.

I’d then keep the largest portion untouched as the emergency fund, create a smaller repair pot based on the inspection, and furnish only the rooms needed immediately. The caveat is that S$48,240 may feel thin against a S$1,822,000 purchase if the inspection identifies more than cosmetic work. Can you still rebuild the buffer comfortably from monthly income after completion?
 
Back
Top