How much of my MX$648,000 should remain untouched after buying a villa?

teaAndLedger

First-time buyer
The latest budget leaves about MX$648,000 available, which raises a harder question about how much must remain untouched. The property is a 5-bed villa in Mexico City priced near MX$17,100,000, and that balance is what remains once the expected deposit and closing expenses are accounted for.

Moving, furniture and inspection findings would still come from it. Would you first ring-fence an emergency fund based on several months of mortgage and service charges, then use only the remainder for urgent work? If that leaves too little for immediate repairs, I may need to lower the purchase budget rather than furnish the whole villa straight away.
 
I’d separate the money into two broad pots: an emergency fund that is genuinely untouchable, and a house fund for moving and necessary repairs. Furniture should come last; a 5-bed place can absorb a lot of cash if you try to finish every room immediately. Also reserve the first mortgage payment before treating any balance as available.
 
What are the monthly mortgage payment and any service charges? MX$648,000 means something very different if your regular income comfortably rebuilds it than if closing leaves little monthly surplus. I’d also wait for the inspection before assigning a repair amount, because safety or water-related items should outrank decorating.
 
I’m slightly more cautious than Luca. At a MX$17,100,000 purchase price, MX$648,000 is not a large buffer if it represents all your remaining liquid cash. Moving, an insurance excess and several unrelated repairs could arrive close together. Delaying furniture helps, but it does not solve a purchase that is already too close to the limit.
 
Before committing, make a short list with actual quotes or written figures where possible: moving, first mortgage payment, insurance, any service charges, and the urgent items from the inspection. Keep optional furniture and cosmetic work in a separate second-year list. If the essential total leaves too little emergency cash, lower the target price rather than hoping the villa needs nothing.
 
That distinction helps. The MX$648,000 is after the deposit and estimated closing costs, but I have not yet ring-fenced the first mortgage payment, moving or repairs, and I still need to confirm whether there are service charges. I’ll treat the emergency fund as unavailable, wait for the inspection, and postpone furnishing unused bedrooms. If that makes the remaining house fund too small, I’ll reduce my price ceiling.
 
Back
Top