The practical limit is the HK$234,000 I would still have available for everything immediately after buying. The property is a 1-bed coastal home in Hong Kong at roughly HK$5,421,000, so that remaining cash must cover more than decorating.
I need room for moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges, an insurance excess and any essential inspection findings. Basic furniture can be kept minimal, but problems with windows, seals, building equipment or other necessary items may not be deferrable.
Would you ring-fence the emergency and payment reserves first and use only the remainder for repairs, or is the buffer thin enough that I should lower the purchase budget?
I need room for moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges, an insurance excess and any essential inspection findings. Basic furniture can be kept minimal, but problems with windows, seals, building equipment or other necessary items may not be deferrable.
Would you ring-fence the emergency and payment reserves first and use only the remainder for repairs, or is the buffer thin enough that I should lower the purchase budget?