How much of my AED 58,720 buffer should stay untouched after buying?

plantsAndCairn

First-time buyer
Established
I’m considering a 2-bed apartment in Dubai at around AED 1,413,000. The payment looks affordable, but after the deposit and estimated closing costs I would have roughly AED 58,720 left.

I’m struggling to divide that between emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture. The inspection could also uncover ordinary first-year work. Would you treat AED 58,720 as enough, or buy below my maximum so that small issues do not become emergencies?
 
I would not start by dividing the whole amount among furniture and repairs. First ring-fence a genuinely untouchable emergency fund, then reserve cash for known items such as moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges and any insurance excess. Only what remains should fund furniture.

Have you confirmed when the service charges and first mortgage payment actually fall due? Timing can matter as much as the total.
 
That is the gap in my planning. I have estimates for the transaction itself, but not a clear cash-flow calendar for the first mortgage payment and service charges. I’m also treating furniture too much like one large purchase when most rooms could remain basic for a while. I’ll ask for exact payment dates and separate essential repairs from cosmetic work after the inspection.
 
Before committing to a particular apartment, set the minimum cash balance that must remain after the dated first-year payments. The trade-off is not simply the AED 1,413,000 purchase against an AED 58,720 buffer; it is the preferred apartment against the flexibility to handle several costs arriving together.

The previous plan is a good compromise: confirm the first mortgage payment, moving costs and service-charge dates now, then wait for the inspection before assigning money to repairs. Keep the target price only if that schedule leaves the protected emergency amount intact. If it does not, reduce the budget rather than assuming a routine inspection finding will be inexpensive.
 
There is also a middle ground: keep the current target for now, but set a walk-away condition before viewing more places. For example, the purchase only proceeds if the inspection findings and confirmed first-year payments leave your emergency fund intact.

Make a dated list covering closing, moving, first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance excess and urgent work. Furniture can then be split into move-in essentials and later purchases.
 
One caveat: buying cheaper does not automatically mean lower first-year risk. A lower-priced apartment needing more immediate work could consume the difference. Compare the remaining cash after property-specific inspection findings and near-term charges, not just after the purchase price. I’d also leave a miscellaneous line rather than allocating every dirham on paper; otherwise the plan has no room for small surprises.
 
Back
Top