How much of C$52,650 should remain untouched after buying a Toronto duplex?

kai_trades

First-time buyer
Established
The seller has agreed to the deal, but I am still uneasy about how much cash the purchase will leave me. The property is a 2-bed Toronto duplex priced at about C$1,897,000, and my estimate after the deposit and closing costs is C$52,650.

I do not want to treat all of that as available for upgrades. The move itself will cost money, the inspection may reveal work that cannot wait, and I need room for the first mortgage payment and the insurance excess. Furniture is the easiest thing to delay.

How would you set the minimum cash reserve before closing? I also need to confirm whether this duplex has shared maintenance obligations or recurring charges that should be included.
 
I would work backwards from the non-negotiables. Set aside the first mortgage payment and regular bills, moving costs, and enough for any inspection items that affect safety or prevent further damage. Then keep the emergency fund separate and treat furniture as optional.

Whether C$52,650 is comfortable depends heavily on your monthly spending and income stability. How many months would it cover if one income stopped?
 
Also clarify what “duplex” means for this particular property. Are there shared systems, maintenance arrangements or recurring service charges? Those can change the calculation.

For the inspection, ask for findings to be divided into urgent, near-term and cosmetic items. A long report can look frightening even when much of it is routine maintenance.
 
One caveat to Omar’s approach: I would not reserve the inspection figure blindly. Inspectors can identify an issue, but the eventual scope and cost may still be uncertain. Get estimates for the urgent items before deciding how much is genuinely available for furniture. I would also confirm the insurance coverage and excess rather than assuming every first-year surprise can be claimed.
 
The monthly-spending question is the part I had not properly tested. I was thinking of C$52,650 as one general cushion rather than asking how long it would last after the mortgage and normal bills.

I can postpone nearly all furniture and buy only what is essential. My next step is to separate the money into moving and closing adjustments, the first payment, inspection-led work, and a genuinely untouched emergency amount. I will also ask specifically about shared costs or service charges.
 
That separation should make the decision much clearer. Before committing any surplus, update the closing estimate with the people handling the transaction and confirm the payment dates with the lender. Then price the move, check the insurance excess, and obtain quotes for any urgent inspection findings.

Whatever remains can be judged against your monthly outgoings. If that untouched portion feels too small, furniture is the easy delay; essential repairs and loss-of-income cover are not.
 
Back
Top