How much of AED 36,700 should remain untouched after buying?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
I’m considering a 4-bed country home in Dubai at around AED 862,400. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I should have roughly AED 36,700 left.

That still needs to cover moving, any immediate inspection findings, furniture and the usual first-year surprises. I also need to allow for the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any service charges that apply. Would you divide the AED 36,700 into fixed pots, or buy below this price to preserve a larger emergency fund?
 
I’d keep more than half completely untouched at first. As an illustration: AED 20,000 emergency savings, AED 6,000 moving and setup, AED 8,000 for urgent repairs, and only AED 2,700 for furniture. The exact split matters less than refusing to use the emergency portion for sofas and spare bedrooms. A 4-bed home does not need to be fully furnished on moving day.
 
What does the AED 36,700 figure exclude? In particular, have you confirmed when the first mortgage payment is due and whether the property has recurring service charges? Those could change the picture more than the moving cost. I would also wait for the inspection before assigning a repair amount.
 
My caveat to Giulia’s split is that AED 20,000 may or may not be a meaningful emergency fund without knowing your normal monthly outgoings. For a 4-bed property, AED 8,000 could also disappear quickly if the inspection finds several items that cannot wait. I’d decide your minimum untouchable reserve first, then treat the remaining amount as the true moving budget.
 
Also include the insurance excess in that untouchable reserve rather than assuming insurance makes a large problem cash-free. And ask for the service-charge amount and payment timing if the home sits in a managed development; knowing the annual figure alone is not enough for cash-flow planning.
 
I wouldn’t create four rigid pots yet. Moving, repairs and furniture overlap: you might need temporary storage, an appliance replacement or curtains before a dining set. Keep one emergency reserve and one flexible settling-in fund until the inspection and handover details are clear. If that flexible fund feels too small after getting actual quotes, that is a strong argument for buying below AED 862,400.
 
That’s fair. I’d base the reserve on household expenses and mortgage commitments, not on a percentage of the purchase price. Then list inspection findings as: required before occupation, needed during year one, and cosmetic. Only the first group should affect whether AED 36,700 is enough to complete comfortably.
 
The inspection report should be turned into priced actions rather than accepted as one alarming list. Ask which findings are urgent, then obtain estimates for those items before closing if the timeline permits. Leave cosmetic work and furnishing the unused bedrooms until you have lived there for a while. Homes often reveal what is actually inconvenient only after move-in.
 
I agree with delaying furniture, but don’t make the moving allowance unrealistically lean. Get quotes based on the actual distance and volume, then add the small setup items people forget. I’d also keep the first mortgage payment outside the repair pot until the lender confirms its date and amount. Otherwise the same cash is being mentally allocated twice.
 
The practical decision point seems to be after three figures are known: urgent work from the inspection, the real moving quote, and any near-term mortgage or service-charge payments. Subtract those from AED 36,700, then compare what remains with the emergency reserve you need for ordinary living costs. If the remainder falls below that floor, reducing the purchase price is safer than trimming furniture alone.
 
Back
Top