How much of a €37,720 post-closing buffer should stay untouched?

MaeMoss

First-time buyer
Before the inspection arrives, I need to decide whether to earmark the remaining cash or leave most of it uncommitted. The trade-off is between preparing properly for the move and preserving enough room for an expensive early surprise.

The property is a 1-bed serviced apartment in Paris costing about €239,200. After the deposit and currently estimated closing costs, roughly €37,720 should remain. That still has to cover moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance excess, urgent work and basic furniture.

Would you reserve the emergency fund first and wait for the inspection before allocating the rest? I am inclined to buy only essential furniture initially, but I may be overlooking handover charges or the timing of service-charge payments.
 
I’d separate the money into two broad pots: an untouchable emergency fund based on several months of your normal living costs, and a purchase-related pot for moving, the first payments and urgent work. Don’t assign much to furniture initially beyond what makes the apartment functional. Once the inspection arrives, rank findings by safety, preventing further damage and comfort—in that order.
 
Does the €37,720 remain after every payment due around handover, or only after the currently estimated closing costs? I’d confirm the timing of the first mortgage payment, service charges and insurance before deciding the repair budget. Also, is the apartment ready to occupy, or would any inspection issue force work before moving in? That changes how much overlap you may need for accommodation and moving.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat roofs and boilers as your personal emergency in a serviced apartment. First establish which items are your responsibility and which are dealt with through the building or service arrangements. The more important unknown may be the recurring service charge and what it actually covers. A healthy cash balance can shrink quickly if the monthly ownership cost was estimated too optimistically.
 
I disagree slightly with setting a fixed repair pot before the inspection. A neat percentage can create false confidence: €3,000 might be excessive if the place is sound, or inadequate if several urgent items appear together. Keep most of the €37,720 liquid for now. After the report, obtain costs for urgent findings, add moving and payment dates to one calendar, then decide whether the remaining reserve still feels comfortable.
 
That’s the sensible sequence. I’d also ask the inspector to distinguish an active problem from something merely old, because “replace eventually” should not consume the same first-year budget as a leak or failure. Julia, if urgent work plus moving and initial payments would cut deeply into the emergency fund, buying slightly below €239,200—or walking away from this particular apartment—would be more prudent than planning to rebuild the buffer immediately.
 
Back
Top