How much of a $38,000 post-closing buffer should stay untouched?

eva.bloom

First-time buyer
If I misjudge the cash reserve, a manageable repair could leave me stretched immediately after closing. The property is a 4-bed villa in San Francisco priced at about $405,000, and my estimate leaves $38,000 once the deposit and closing expenses are paid.

I have not yet seen the final inspection findings, so I am unsure how much of that balance can safely cover the move, essential furnishings and early work. I also need to allow for the insurance excess and normal monthly costs. What portion would you set aside and refuse to touch? I am willing to choose a cheaper property if this buffer is only comfortable under a best-case scenario.
 
I wouldn’t allocate the furniture money yet. First ring-fence a household emergency fund that remains untouched after closing. Then allow for the move, the first mortgage payment and any insurance deductible/excess. Let the inspection determine the repair pot, prioritising safety, water and anything that worsens if delayed. Furnish only the rooms you’ll actually use at first.
 
The missing detail is the monthly carrying cost. Are there service charges or HOA fees, and is the insurance estimate firm? A $38,000 balance can mean very different things depending on the mortgage payment and regular outgoings. I’d also be cautious about calling inspection items “ordinary” before seeing the report; several individually manageable jobs can land at once.
 
You’re not overthinking it, but don’t assign every dollar to a category before you have evidence. Get the inspection, ask for rough costs on the important findings, confirm when the first mortgage payment is due, and obtain a realistic moving quote. Keep the emergency portion separate from the property-work portion. If the resulting margin feels thin, lowering the purchase price is more useful than postponing a sofa.
 
Back
Top