How much of a $37,000 post-closing buffer should stay untouched?

liv_homes

Buyer
Established
The purchase looks affordable on paper, but I hesitate because the remaining cash has several jobs to do. The property is a 1-bed duplex in New York at about $885,000, and my estimated balance after the deposit and closing expenses is around $37,000.

I’m trying to set an amount that stays entirely untouched, then budget separately for the move, inspection findings and the first mortgage payment. Furniture can wait, but ordinary work during the first year still needs room in the plan. What sequence would you use, and which monthly expenses should I total before deciding whether this buffer is sufficient? I would prefer to reduce the purchase budget rather than leave no margin for routine problems.
 
I’d divide it by priority, not evenly. Keep the emergency fund completely separate, then reserve money for inspection-related work, moving and the first mortgage payment. Furniture comes last; a mostly empty home is inconvenient, but not an emergency.

The key missing number is your normal monthly spending after purchase. A $37,000 cushion can feel substantial or tight depending on the mortgage, service charges and how many months of expenses it actually covers.
 
I’d be a little more cautious than that. In a duplex, a modest inspection list can turn into several jobs arriving together, and insurance may still leave you paying a deductible. Before deciding the buffer is enough, ask for the recent service-charge history, confirm what the closing estimate includes, and check when the first mortgage payment is due. I would also price the move realistically and postpone nonessential furniture for a few months.
 
Back
Top