How much of a £21,060 post-completion buffer should I keep untouched?

DirectCairn

Homeowner
Established
I’ve sat with the numbers for a couple of days and am wondering whether I’m stretching too far. I’m considering a 2-bed new-build flat in Birmingham at around £815,100. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly £21,060 left.

How would you divide that between an emergency fund, moving costs, immediate repairs or snagging issues, and furniture? The inspection may identify ordinary first-year work. I’d rather buy below my maximum than have every small problem become a financial emergency.
 
I’d work backwards rather than split it into four equal pots. First ring-fence several months of essential spending, including the mortgage and service charge. Then reserve the moving costs and first mortgage payment once you know their exact timing. Repairs come next; furniture last. A table or spare-room bed can wait, but an unexpected bill cannot.
 
The missing figure is your monthly essential outgoings after completion. £21,060 could be comfortable for one household and thin for another. Also, does your estimate include the initial service-charge demand, utility setup, insurance, removals and any overlap with your current accommodation? Ask the lender what the first payment will actually be, as it may not match a normal monthly payment.
 
I slightly disagree with treating all furniture as optional. Window coverings, lighting where fittings aren’t included, and somewhere to sleep can be genuine day-one costs. I’d separate “functional furniture” from decorating and upgrades.

For a new build, also get clarity on what the developer will correct after inspection and what remains yours. A snag being listed does not itself mean you need cash to fix it immediately.
 
Service charges would concern me more than cosmetic snagging. Check the amount, payment schedule and exactly what the building insurance covers. In particular, ask how any insurance excess could affect leaseholders if there is a claim. Those details are specific to the development and lease, so assumptions based on another flat may be misleading.
 
This is helping. I hadn’t separated essential furniture from optional furnishing, and I need firmer figures for the first mortgage payment and service-charge timing. My next step is to list monthly essentials, ring-fence the emergency portion, and get actual quotes for moving and the minimum day-one items. If the remaining margin looks too small after that, I’ll lower the purchase ceiling rather than borrow from the emergency pot.
 
That sounds sensible. Before deciding, put every known completion-period payment on a dated cash-flow sheet rather than treating £21,060 as one balance. Include the inspection, removals, first mortgage payment, service charge, contents cover and a realistic allowance for essential furnishings. Keep inspection items in a separate list marked developer responsibility, urgent owner cost, or deferrable. That should show whether the buffer is genuinely available or merely waiting to be spent.
 
Back
Top