How much of a $1,032 rent gap is worth chasing on an Austin duplex?

gate.daily

Property investor
I own a duplex in Austin valued at about $1,295,000. Self-managing was straightforward until I moved farther away. Current rent is roughly $6,042, while comparable asking rents appear close to $7,074. The tenant pays reliably, maintains the home well and has caused no obvious management problems.

I am considering a modest increase rather than trying to capture the full $1,032 monthly gap. Turnover could mean vacancy, refurbishment and more work at a distance. How would you structure a fair rent review while complying with local notice requirements and protecting the relationship?
 
Put a value on reliability before choosing the increase. The full gap is $12,384 a year, but one vacant month at the advertised market figure would consume more than half of that, before cleaning, repairs or leasing costs. I would first verify the lease terms and required notice, then propose a measured increase with a clear explanation rather than jumping straight to $7,074.
 
That calculation is helpful because I was focusing too much on the annual gap. I need to pull the lease and confirm the renewal dates and notice language before discussing a number. I also plan to list the maintenance that would likely be needed between tenants, even though the current tenant has looked after the property.
 
Before treating $7,074 as market rent, are those genuinely comparable duplexes, and are the figures achieved rents or just asking prices? Check location, condition, included utilities, parking and any advertised concessions. A dependable tenant at $6,042 may not be as far below the real market as the listing comparison suggests.
 
I would not automatically split the difference. A small increase can still trigger a move, while leaving you with neither maximum rent nor retention. Ask the tenant about renewal intentions first, without making promises, and run separate outcomes for staying and turnover. Because you now live farther away, include your own management burden in the turnover case. Confirm current Austin and Texas requirements before sending any formal notice.
 
A simple worksheet should make this less emotional: expected rent over the next 12 months under each option, minus probable vacancy, turnover work and leasing or management expenses. Add a conservative allowance for surprises rather than assuming immediate re-letting at $7,074. If retention wins, a staged adjustment may be easier to explain, provided it fits the lease and local rules. Give the tenant the number, effective date and renewal terms in writing.
 
Also plan for the less attractive outcome. If the tenant declines, arrange a documented move-out inspection, keep maintenance records and handle the deposit strictly under the applicable lease and local rules. That preparation does not make the conversation adversarial; it prevents a friendly negotiation from becoming disorganized if they choose to leave.
 
Back
Top