How much negotiating room after 84 days on the Manchester market?

calm_chart

Buyer
Established
One approach is to treat 84 days on the market as a reason to bid below asking; the other is to start with recent completed sales and condition. As a first-time buyer, I think the second approach is safer because a long listing period alone says little about the seller’s flexibility.

I am looking in the £252,700 to £379,100 range around Manchester. Before deciding on an offer, I want to check when price cuts occurred, whether a property was withdrawn and relisted, how much work it needs, and whether vacant possession is actually confirmed. Those risks could matter more than securing a modest discount.

My notes also contain a “coastal homes” label, which plainly suggests that the search area or category may be contaminated. Once I correct that, where can I compare completed prices with earlier listing changes for genuinely similar Manchester properties?
 
Eighty-four days can create negotiating room, but it doesn’t prove the seller will accept less. I’d look at what happened during those days: no reduction, one recent cut, repeated cuts, or withdrawal and relisting. Also compare condition. A tired property at the same asking price as a renovated one may simply have started too high.
 
Can you clarify two things: which Manchester neighbourhoods are included, and by “vacancy” do you mean the property is currently empty or that vacant possession is confirmed? Also, Manchester isn’t coastal, so that label could be mixing results from a different area. Until the boundary is clear, completed examples may not be genuinely comparable.
 
I’d be cautious about leaning too heavily on completed prices. They reflect negotiations started earlier, whereas new-listing volume and current buyer financing can change the balance by the time you offer. A seller who has already reduced may be firmer than one who has held an unrealistic price for 84 days. Motivation matters more than the day count on its own.
 
Make a small comparison table for the exact neighbourhood rather than the whole city: original ask, current ask, days listed, reduction dates, whether it disappeared and returned, condition, occupancy, and completed price where available. Then ask the agent why this seller is moving and what timescale matters to them. That should give you a defensible offer range without assuming every 84-day listing is distressed.
 
Agreed on narrowing the area, although I wouldn’t treat the agent’s explanation of motivation as decisive. The listing history and property condition are harder signals. One more question for the OP: is your financing fully arranged, and could you accommodate the seller’s preferred timing? A slightly lower offer with fewer timing uncertainties may be more persuasive than a lower number alone.
 
Back
Top