How much leverage do buyers have after 96 days in Atlanta?

PlainThread

Property investor
We’re deciding whether to make an offer now or wait for more price cuts in the two Atlanta neighbourhoods we like. The citywide average doesn’t seem useful because the market feels split.

For serviced apartments around $1,052,000–$1,578,000, I’m seeing roughly 96 days on market. Properties with a clear answer on building reserves seem to move differently. Has anyone tracked recent completed sales, particularly cases where the final price diverged from the visible asking history?
 
At 96 days, I’d negotiate, but I wouldn’t choose the discount from days on market alone. Look at when the last price cut happened, whether the unit was withdrawn and relisted, and how much competing stock has appeared since. A stale listing with a recent cut may have less room than one whose seller has made no adjustment at all.
 
Which two neighbourhoods, and what do you mean by serviced apartments here—furnished units, or buildings with extensive services? Boundaries matter even within a small area. I’d also separate units by condition, monthly carrying costs and the quality of the information provided about reserves. Otherwise the completed-sales comparison may still be too broad.
 
I’ve looked at the visible asking sequence, but it still does not show what persuaded the seller to agree. A completed price may reflect financing terms, the closing date or other concessions, and withdrawn listings make the apparent supply less reliable.

Fatima is right that the timing of cuts and relistings matters. The missing fact that would change my view is the seller’s position at the time of the offer: were they under pressure to close, or simply testing the market after 96 days? If recent completed-sale records can be matched to the exact buildings, I’d check those alongside cut dates and any known transaction terms rather than treating days on market as the measure of leverage.
 
Grace’s questions are the place to start. Build a short list confined to the exact neighbourhood boundaries and comparable buildings, then note original ask, each cut date, withdrawal or relisting, condition, reserve clarity and completed price. Also count genuinely new listings separately from returning stock. That should show whether buyers are gaining leverage or whether only the weaker properties are lingering.
 
Back
Top