How much is a reliable Toronto student tenant worth when reviewing rent?

LuckyBeam

Property investor
Established
I would prefer to keep this reliable Toronto student tenant, but the comparison with current advertisements is difficult to ignore. They pay about C$5,942 and similar properties appear to be offered near C$6,454, a difference of roughly C$512 each month.

Going straight toward the advertised figure risks losing a tenant who pays consistently and takes care of the home, with vacancy and preparation costs following. Leaving everything unchanged also seems hard to sustain. Would a smaller compliant increase now, followed by another review later, be the better approach? I still need to confirm the exact tenancy arrangement, whether the comparisons include similar furnishings and utilities, and what notice requirements apply.
 
I wouldn’t treat the C$512 difference as money automatically being lost. Over 12 months it is C$6,144, while even one vacant month at the advertised figure would exceed that before cleaning, repairs or reletting costs. First establish what increase is actually permitted for this tenancy; then I’d lean toward a compliant, modest increase that recognizes the tenant’s reliability.
 
The tenancy arrangement is the missing fact. Is one tenant renting the whole property, or are there separate room agreements? Is it fixed-term or continuing? The rules may depend on the actual arrangement rather than the “student housing” description.

I’d also scrutinize the comparisons: same capacity, condition, furnishings and included utilities? Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent.
 
I partly disagree with Nadia’s vacancy comparison. A full vacant month is possible, not inevitable, and staying materially below market can compound over time. Still, reliability and care have real economic value. I’d model three cases: lawful increase with retention, turnover at a realistically achievable rent, and no increase. Include vacancy and refurbishment only in the turnover case.
 
Maintenance history matters too. If the tenant has reported issues that remain unresolved, raising rent first will predictably land badly. I would keep repairs and rent discussions separate—maintenance should not be presented as a favour purchased by an increase. An informal conversation about the tenant’s plans can help, but it should not replace whatever formal notice process applies.
 
Before choosing an amount, confirm whether this particular property and tenancy fall under the usual rent restrictions, and verify the required form, notice period and timing. The word “student” alone does not settle that.

Also plan deposit handling before any turnover. A deposit should not be casually treated as a refurbishment fund; what can be retained and how it must be documented depends on the applicable Ontario rules.
 
Another practical question is when the tenant might leave and how long this specific property would realistically take to relet. Timing can matter greatly for student-oriented housing. If the C$6,454 comparisons have been advertised for a while, that weakens them as evidence. I’d record listing dates and included features rather than relying on the headline amounts alone.
 
For the worksheet, current annual rent is C$71,304 and the advertised comparison is C$77,448, a maximum apparent gap of C$6,144. Replace that gap with the lawful and realistically achievable increase, then subtract expected vacancy, cleaning, refurbishment and reletting expenses. Don’t count the deposit as income. That makes the value of retaining this tenant much easier to see.
 
The sensible sequence seems to be: establish which rules apply, narrow the comparisons to genuinely similar properties, estimate turnover conservatively, and then decide how much of a retention discount you are comfortable carrying. Given the reliable payments and good care, I’d favour a modest lawful increase unless the numbers still strongly support turnover. Communicate appreciation plainly and avoid using the higher listings as a threat.
 
Back
Top