I need to set my maximum price before making an offer, and the trade-off is becoming clear: accept less house or close with very little room for surprises. I’m a first-time buyer considering a five-bedroom country home in New York at about $1,285,000. My estimate leaves around $23,000 in cash once the deposit and closing expenses are paid.
The monthly mortgage looks manageable. What worries me is the period between moving and settling into normal monthly spending, including the insurance excess, moving charges, essential furniture and inspection findings.
Would you reserve a fixed emergency amount first and lower the purchase ceiling if the known setup costs do not fit in what remains? Or, if the inspection shows no urgent defects, is it reasonable to postpone furniture and nonessential work rather than reject the house immediately?
The monthly mortgage looks manageable. What worries me is the period between moving and settling into normal monthly spending, including the insurance excess, moving charges, essential furniture and inspection findings.
Would you reserve a fixed emergency amount first and lower the purchase ceiling if the known setup costs do not fit in what remains? Or, if the inspection shows no urgent defects, is it reasonable to postpone furniture and nonessential work rather than reject the house immediately?