How much cash should remain after closing on a Chicago apartment?

I am torn between assigning every dollar to a category and simply keeping a reserve based on several months of essential spending. On a roughly $1,310,000 Chicago 4-bed apartment, I expect to retain about $20,000 after the deposit and projected closing costs. That feels usable on paper but not especially forgiving.

The sum would need to cover the move, any urgent inspection items, the insurance excess, building charges and possibly the first loan payment. Furniture could be bought gradually. How much would you refuse to touch, and should such a limited cushion push me toward a cheaper property? I am also looking at price per square metre, though I suspect it says little unless the comparison buildings have similar condition and running costs.
 
At that purchase price, $20,000 sounds tight rather than comfortable. I would keep the majority completely untouched for income loss, insurance deductibles and genuinely urgent repairs. Moving gets its own capped amount, while furniture can arrive room by room. Price per square metre is useful for nearby comparable apartments, but it cannot capture the building’s condition or ongoing charges.
 
What do your normal monthly expenses look like after the purchase, including the mortgage and building charges? A $20,000 reserve means something very different if it covers six months of essential spending versus two. I’d also ask whether your closing estimate includes every prepaid item and whether you expect any overlap between current housing costs and the new payment.
 
I’d wait for the inspection before assigning a furniture budget. Divide findings into urgent safety or water-related work, things needed within a year, and cosmetic items. Then price the first category rather than relying on a vague repair allowance. Separately, ask for the building’s financial information and any planned major work; the apartment inspection alone won’t answer every cost question.
 
I slightly disagree that the answer is simply to preserve most of the $20,000. Moving into a 4-bed apartment can require some unavoidable spending, and pretending it will all wait may make the plan unrealistic. List actual moving, utility setup and essential furnishing costs first. If the remaining emergency fund then feels inadequate, that points to a lower purchase price—not a more optimistic budget.
 
Don’t count the gap before the first mortgage payment as spare money. Keep that payment ready from closing onward, even if the precise due date gives you some breathing room. I’d make four accounts or lines in the budget: closing surprises, move-in costs, inspection repairs and an emergency fund. Furniture stays outside those four unless an item is genuinely necessary.
 
One addition to my earlier comment: check the insurance deductible before choosing the emergency-fund figure. If one plausible claim would consume a large part of the reserve, $20,000 is doing too many jobs. Also stress-test the budget with a higher-than-expected building charge or repair bill, without assuming either will occur.
 
The price-per-square-metre comparison is secondary here. Use it to spot unusually expensive listings among similar Chicago apartments, but compare bedroom count, condition, building costs and layout as well. For the decision itself, total the known move and first-month costs, add the urgent inspection items, and see what remains untouched. If that remainder would not cover several months of your essential expenses, buying below your maximum seems sensible.
 
Back
Top