How much cash should remain after buying a Santiago townhouse?

cleo_york

Homeowner
The figure that changed my view of affordability was not the purchase price but the CLP 36,660,000 I expect to retain after the deposit and estimated closing costs. The property is a one-bedroom Santiago townhouse at about CLP 535,800,000, with a 58-day purchase timetable, and that remaining cash suddenly feels less generous once the first months of ownership are considered.

I am thinking of treating the money in two layers. One would be unavailable except for a genuine emergency; the other would cover moving, urgent inspection findings, early payments and any insurance excess or service charge. Furniture could wait unless the inspection leaves the second layer comfortably intact. How would you set the untouchable amount before the inspection result is known?
 
I’d separate the buffer before deciding what furniture you can afford. Keep the emergency fund untouched, then reserve money for moving, inspection-related repairs and the first mortgage payment. Also allow for service charges and the insurance excess if those apply to this townhouse. Furniture is the easiest category to delay; repairs that prevent further damage are not.
 
Does the CLP 36,660,000 already account for the first mortgage payment, insurance and any service charge due soon after closing? Those timing details matter more than the headline balance. I’d also wait for the inspection before assigning a firm repair amount, because “ordinary work” could mean cosmetic jobs or something that should be addressed before moving in.
 
I wouldn’t create four rigid pots yet. That can make a healthy total look more certain than it is. Use the inspection to make three lists: work needed before occupation, work that can wait through the first year, and purely optional improvements. Price the move separately, keep the emergency reserve out of both calculations, and furnish only the essentials at first. If that leaves too little flexibility, the sensible response is a lower offer or a cheaper property—not a smaller emergency fund.
 
Back
Top