How much cash should remain after buying a country home?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
We have checked the deposit, estimated closing costs and likely mortgage payment. What remains unclear is how much of the AED 132,100 left over should be treated as genuinely available cash rather than a reserve.

The country home looks well maintained, but the inspection may still produce a first-year repair list. Would you go ahead if the money can cover moving, the insurance excess and priority work while leaving an emergency fund untouched? Furniture can be bought gradually, but I also need to confirm any service charges and the date of the first mortgage payment.
 
I wouldn’t delay solely because of that figure, but I would divide it before deciding: untouchable emergency fund, known moving costs, and a repair allowance. Confirm when the first mortgage payment is due and whether any service charges apply to this particular home. Furniture is the easiest category to postpone. The key question is how much of the AED 132,100 remains after those items are accounted for.
 
Start with your essential monthly outgoings and decide how many months the emergency fund must cover. Until that is known, AED 132,100 does not say much about the strength of the buffer.

I would also wait for the inspection report, price the urgent items and only then decide what is available for moving or furniture. Several modest defects on a country home can add up, so the next useful step is a first-year cash plan based on the actual findings.
 
I’d be a little less cautious than thiagom: an inspection list does not mean everything must be repaired immediately. Separate safety or deterioration issues from cosmetic work, move with only essential furniture, and keep the emergency fund untouched. If moving costs, insurance excess and priority repairs would force you into that emergency fund, delay. Otherwise, a phased approach seems more sensible than waiting for a perfectly risk-free purchase.
 
Back
Top